Tuesday, February 24, 2009

remembering

I don't know what made me think of it, but I remember that I loved the Chi Omega symphony. It resonated with me then, and still does so now....

To live constantly above snobbery of word or deed; to place scholarship before social obligations and character before appearances; to be, in the best sense, democratic rather than 'exclusive', and lovable rather than 'popular'; to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to act sincerely, to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and conscience demand; to be womanly always; to be discouraged never; in a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my Fraternity and her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart that she may be a symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note.

~Ethel Switzer Howard, Xi Chapter, Northwestern University, 1904

2 comments:

katie and co. said...

Those were good times and I remember loving the Chi-O Symphony too. Thanks for the walk down memory lane! :)

kelly : pinetothepacific said...

i just stumbled across your blog and this brought a smile to my face! i am a chi omega too and it was great to read those words today. :)