Sunday, December 7, 2008

will you catch me if i fall?

I've been in the city almost 2 years now. I have tried to be pretty cautious so that I wouldn't totally eat dirt in the subway. You know: watch your step, don't skip steps, don't run (when I can help it), mind the high heels...

Well, until today I have not had an "incident." I was going down the stairs at the Fulton Street stop (to the A train to JFK.) I was carrying the back/heavy end of a friends suitcase and trying not to smack into the 2 guys that were sitting (aka parked) on both sides of the staircase. It was so kind of them to park their behinds right where people are trying to drag their 70 pound suitcases....

My pants are cuffed, since I'm too lazy to take them to get them hemmed (note: will be doing that after this incident.) My foot got caught inside the cuff, and I felt myself going down. I was about 5 stairs from the bottom and fortunately I landed on the suitcase and my purse (face down on my stomach.) I did, however, smack my shin & knee (which are now swollen) and get a pretty little raspberry on my foot.

The jerks sitting on the stairs just looked at me like I was in his way. I looked at him (since I was eye-level and in his face) and said, "Don't worry, I'm ok. Thanks for moving."

I should have just knocked him with the suitcase and then I wouldn't have fallen. The good news is that I have gotten my horribly embarrassing subway fall out of the way and won't be waiting for it to happen.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

you are totally one of those bitchy New Yorkers. Love it.